In 1898 the Couturbier Golf Course was the only golf course in Piedmont, and only two golf courses were at the time in Italy. This is recorded in some old books which copy is also found in Italy. The course, which Gaspar Voli was Secretary, as it is remembered on the old “Manual for Playing Golf in Italy”, was Par 36 and 2000 yards. Among the various news one can read:” The course is on a land really suitable for golf. The moor is insurmountable and this has always been the wish of the true golfer. The modern 27 holes golf course, planned and built up by Robert Trent Jones Sr covers an area of over one million square meters, including and widening the area of the old existing nine holes. An ideal place among secular trees, streams, small lakes and gentle undulations of the land for performing one of his most successful courses which fits in a harmonious way into the splendid and intact countryside in the back-ground of the massif of the Mount Rosa. The Castelconturbia golf course stands on the earldom of Conturbia, sideways the seventeenth century Castle, where the water of Lake Maggiore gradually becomes the Ticino river, in a lovely setting of intact nature. The modern course has been ranked among the top ten courses in continental Europe and since 1987 and for all the following years the Club has been awarded the prize which recognizes the best courses in Italy. In 2003 it was awarded as the Number One. It has been two times venue of the Italian Open (1991 & 1998): course record 66 held by Josè Maria Olazabal and Costantino Rocca.